“Vietnamese iced coffee, also known as cà phê đá or cafe da is a traditional Vietnamese coffee recipe. At its simplest, cà phê đá is made using medium to coarse ground dark roast Vietnamese-grown coffee with a small metal Vietnamese drip filter” according to Wikipedia.
I had never tried any Vietnamese cuisine or drink until I moved to Houston. I was smitten from the start; what could be more perfect than a strong espresso shot, over ice and sweetened with condensed milk? Tip: use canned espresso to make it a quick and easy drink to prepare.
Condensed milk is pure sugar and is no good for my Type 1 Diabetes. After searching on Amazon for a sugar-free version of my favorite La Lechera condensed milk, I stumbled upon this easy 3 ingredient recipe from My Keto Kitchen:
Ingredients for Sugar-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 20 oz. of heavy cream
- 3/4 cup of Swerve confectioner’s sugar
- 2 oz. of unsalted butter
How To Make Sugar-Free Condensed Milk
- Mix all ingredients on medium heat in a small pot.
- Boil the mixture snd never stop mixing it. Simmer.
- Simmer the ingredients for 30 minutes. (The recipe I got this from states the mixture should reduce but it did not for me.)
- Pour the condensed milk into a heatproof container. I used a glass mason jar. The mixture thickens as it gets cold.
*You will see the mixture crystallize a little bit after it’s been refrigersted but it’ll still taste delicious.
Let me know if you try this iced Vietnamese coffee recipe on one of these hot summer days.
My whole family loves this icy, sweet concoction!